new photo blog

i started this blog in 2006, and it's shifted along with my interests through the years. it's been witness to a lot of learning for me...

still, i feel that i need a home for my photography -- so from now on, i'll be posting my pictures on the journal on my reworked website. if you like my photos, you might decide to follow me there!

my first post is here -- check it out!

as for this blog, i'm not sure what will happen. i don't think i'm willing to let it go, and certainly i'll keep it as an archive, but i need some time to figure it out.

for those of you that pop in from time to time, thanks for the visits and encouragement.


Monday, June 18, 2012

ch7 - the demon-haunted world

ah.. another blogversary, is it?

if blogversary, then a snip from carl sagan's the demon-haunted world: science as a candle in the dark, from chapter 7:

perhaps when everyone knows that gods come down to earth, we hallucinate gods; when all of us are familiar with demons, it's incubi and succubi; when fairies are widely accepted, we see fairies; in an age of spiritualism, we encounter spirits; and when the old myths fade and we begin thinking that extraterrestrial beings are plausible, then that's where our hypnogogic imagery tends.
-carl sagan

so true. now that we can build holograms, people speculate that we might be living in a hologram... or that we're part of someone else's program or matrix... and so on and so on.

now, demons... no -- they're real and they live among us

i'm serious.

there are people and groups of people that are a danger to homo sapiens' continued existence. the extreme right, religious fanatics, nazis, fascists, history and science deniers, military and financial conquerors, corrupt politicians and the greedy rich, people who oppress and exploit women, children and the weak -- etcetera.

this marks the 6th anniversary for my blog. it's the day after an election in greece that has left me disappointed, wondering how a so many people can remain so deluded. the financial crisis is deepening, has caused me direct, very real stress, and i see no solutions yet.

oh.. and also, i'll soon be fifty, and, despite well-meaning, perky suggestions that i'm only as old as i feel, my body and mind are feeling their age.

this blog has taken several directions in the past, and i don't know where it'll go. will it come to focus on religious nuttery, science, photography, politics...? will it be just about me, me, me?

will it go quiet?

for now, i'll continue to post my pictures, when i have them, and to more aggressively offer my services in photography mentoring and photoshop/lightroom/autocad lessons. i've been using google+ hangouts for online lessons, and it's working out very well. if you know someone who might be interested, pass on my little promo video. if not, share it anyway -- and sit back and enjoy the pictures and music!








No comments:

Post a Comment