new photo blog

i started this blog in 2006, and it's shifted along with my interests through the years. it's been witness to a lot of learning for me...

still, i feel that i need a home for my photography -- so from now on, i'll be posting my pictures on the journal on my reworked website. if you like my photos, you might decide to follow me there!

my first post is here -- check it out!

as for this blog, i'm not sure what will happen. i don't think i'm willing to let it go, and certainly i'll keep it as an archive, but i need some time to figure it out.

for those of you that pop in from time to time, thanks for the visits and encouragement.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

atheism vs agnosticism

sometimes drawing a picture helps.

large, at lolgod.



  1. I would say that if you're an agnostic Christian, you're doing Christianity wrong; if you're a gnostic atheist, then you're doing atheism wrong. Me? I'm an agnostic atheist, but pragmatically speaking, I walk around "knowing" god doesn't exist. I'm a 6 on the Dawkins scale.

  2. Believers and non-believers prefer different definitions of these words for transparent reasons, but any definition that enjoys widespread use is the sort of definition that can justifiably find its way into dictionaries. It would be nice if the definitions in this graphic were in widespread use because they clarify the situation quite well, but unfortunately, clarity doesn't drive popular usage while atheists are in the minority.

  3. yes, populations can use words in different ways, but there are original meanings we can turn to.
    the word agnostic has roots in history.  gnosis is the greek word for knowledge, so agnostic simply means that one does not know.this disagreement is similar to the confusion surrounding the word, 'theory'.

  4. I agree, it's very like the use of the word 'theory'.

    Words shift in meaning over time, so the original meaning of a word isn't always a good guide (cf. the etymological fallacy). In any case, T. H. Huxley was pretty clear about what he meant by 'agnostic' when he co-opted that particular Greek root to coin the term. For him it was the position that we _cannot_ know the nature of a creator (or "first cause") as opposed to merely not knowing or being undecided about something.