new photo blog

i started this blog in 2006, and it's shifted along with my interests through the years. it's been witness to a lot of learning for me...

still, i feel that i need a home for my photography -- so from now on, i'll be posting my pictures on the journal on my reworked website. if you like my photos, you might decide to follow me there!

my first post is here -- check it out!

as for this blog, i'm not sure what will happen. i don't think i'm willing to let it go, and certainly i'll keep it as an archive, but i need some time to figure it out.

for those of you that pop in from time to time, thanks for the visits and encouragement.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

approaching the nest... some afterthoughts

approaching the nest, the national stadium, beijing, china.
(edit:  this was, literally, the first time i approached this structure.)

i started shooting in 2007.

i spent 17 months in beijing, and i needed to document what i saw in this amazing city. i knew next to nothing about photography and the only tools i had were a canon eos 350D with a sigma 18-200mm lens.

my friend, jonathan shock, mentioned something about something called HDR and some stumbling around the internet rewarded me with a few how-tos. this process was almost miraculous! i knew next to nothing about photography, but i could still produce (what seemed to me at the time) striking images. most of my shots from china are processed as HDRs with photomatix.

i look at them now, and i'm not really impressed -- but i suppose most photographers cringe when they look at their early work...? i've saved all the RAW files, so i sometimes think that when i'm old and decrepit, i'll sit down and reprocess them (as i've done with a few already when i had no inspiration to shoot).

another interesting thing is that my lens wasn't really wide enough to capture most of the architecture as i liked, so i had to take several exposures and stitch them into one image with autostitch (i didn't know how to use PS for that). doing that with the intent of processing them with photomatix meant that i had to take a lot of shots to produce just one image. if i remember correctly, this example required 15 shots -- 5x3, which often resulted in this curvy, fisheye-type projection. i know people do that on purpose and produce amazing images -- for me, it was necessity.

i see a lot of wrong in this shot -- the stitching isn't really the greatest, so i've got some double lines. i knew next to nothing about layers, which would've helped get rid of the ghosted images and the intense halo around the stadium. still, when i look at it, i like the overall look, so it's become one of my favorites, warts and all.

cross-posted on google+

No comments:

Post a Comment