new photo blog

i started this blog in 2006, and it's shifted along with my interests through the years. it's been witness to a lot of learning for me...

still, i feel that i need a home for my photography -- so from now on, i'll be posting my pictures on the journal on my reworked website. if you like my photos, you might decide to follow me there!

my first post is here -- check it out!

as for this blog, i'm not sure what will happen. i don't think i'm willing to let it go, and certainly i'll keep it as an archive, but i need some time to figure it out.

for those of you that pop in from time to time, thanks for the visits and encouragement.


Saturday, December 18, 2010

christopher hitchens and sophie tarnowska

on the gazette:

'in a society in which individuals feed their opinions with news they know they'll concur with, his irreverence was like oxygen. i disagree with many of hitchens's opinions. but he defends his views intelligently and bases them on factual evidence, a knowledge of history and keen analysis. his method and its occasional accompanying madness demand that we examine our opinions and recognize them as just that - opinions, and not immutable fact. i'm tired of seeing blind faith pass for intelligent analysis.

hitchens summed up his raison d'etre when he was invited to make his final argument on the role of religion in society at the end of the munk debate. "no thank you," he said, and instead asked for one last question from the audience.

"i'd rather be provoked."'


the full piece here.

4 comments:

  1. I can't thank you enough for all of the posts you share with all of us.
    You continue to inspire me everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so good to hear, that there are people out there who are on the same wavelength.
    so all hope is not lost :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for re-posting helen! writing about hitchens was such a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my pleasure!
    thanks for visiting, sophie -- and for the gift of your work.

    ReplyDelete