new photo blog

i started this blog in 2006, and it's shifted along with my interests through the years. it's been witness to a lot of learning for me...

still, i feel that i need a home for my photography -- so from now on, i'll be posting my pictures on the journal on my reworked website. if you like my photos, you might decide to follow me there!

my first post is here -- check it out!

as for this blog, i'm not sure what will happen. i don't think i'm willing to let it go, and certainly i'll keep it as an archive, but i need some time to figure it out.

for those of you that pop in from time to time, thanks for the visits and encouragement.

Monday, September 06, 2010


like it? click it!

running shoes?
...what are they called in your part of the world..?

shot at thissio station, athens, greece.

geotagged on flickr.

©2010 helen sotiriadis


  1. thirdphotoreceptor6/9/10 12:25

    'Sneakers' or 'runners' in Australia. I hadn't heard 'trainers' until I lived in the UK.

  2. thirdphotoreceptor6/9/10 12:29

    Nice pic, by the way. The legs seem to be different colours. Is it just the light or is it two one-legged people standing very close together on a ledge?

  3. Wikipedia is pretty thorough about the terminology. In addition to the ones already on Flickr they have "kicks" for particular US regions, and a subtype called "plimsolls" (among other things).

    As was noted here, the legs look really strange. At first I thought maybe the shallow DoF or some sort of tights, but after enlarging, it really looks edited.

  4. i edited for the scrapes and bruises that a 13-yr old inevitably has lots of, so it's perhaps overly smooth -- but not the color.