new photo blog

i started this blog in 2006, and it's shifted along with my interests through the years. it's been witness to a lot of learning for me...

still, i feel that i need a home for my photography -- so from now on, i'll be posting my pictures on the journal on my reworked website. if you like my photos, you might decide to follow me there!

my first post is here -- check it out!

as for this blog, i'm not sure what will happen. i don't think i'm willing to let it go, and certainly i'll keep it as an archive, but i need some time to figure it out.

for those of you that pop in from time to time, thanks for the visits and encouragement.

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

athens: a quiet seaside village...

... flanked with white marble columns, where greeks dine on ambrosia.

athens:  a quiet seaside village
like it? click it!


the greek state was not just corrupt but also corrupting. once you saw how it worked you could understand a phenomenon which otherwise made no sense at all: the difficulty greek people have saying a kind word about one another. individual greeks are delightful: funny, warm, smart, and good company. i left two dozen interviews saying to myself, “what great people!” they do not share the sentiment about one another: the hardest thing to do in greece is to get one greek to compliment another behind his back. no success of any kind is regarded without suspicion. everyone is pretty sure everyone is cheating on his taxes, or bribing politicians, or taking bribes, or lying about the value of his real estate. and this total absence of faith in one another is self-reinforcing. the epidemic of lying and cheating and stealing makes any sort of civic life impossible; the collapse of civic life only encourages more lying, cheating, and stealing. lacking faith in one another, they fall back on themselves and their families.

the structure of the greek economy is collectivist, but the country, in spirit, is the opposite of a collective. its real structure is every man for himself. into this system investors had poured hundreds of billions of dollars. and the credit boom had pushed the country over the edge, into total moral collapse.


dedicated to all my friends who wished they were here.

geotagged on flickr.

©2010 helen sotiriadis


  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. thanks for your comments and your thoughts.

    i didn't write this piece -- it's a quote and a link to the original article in vanity fair.

    only the image is mine.

    but i agree with what the writer says.

  3. I just realised that right now, I was about to delete my comment and change it so I don't look so stupid, and then saw your reply. Haha take care.

  4. i see it's deleted.
    but it's ok.

    be well.