new photo blog

i started this blog in 2006, and it's shifted along with my interests through the years. it's been witness to a lot of learning for me...

still, i feel that i need a home for my photography -- so from now on, i'll be posting my pictures on the journal on my reworked website. if you like my photos, you might decide to follow me there!

my first post is here -- check it out!

as for this blog, i'm not sure what will happen. i don't think i'm willing to let it go, and certainly i'll keep it as an archive, but i need some time to figure it out.

for those of you that pop in from time to time, thanks for the visits and encouragement.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

of full moons and mars hoaxes

of full moons and mars hoaxes
like it? click it!

if i ever again express the idea of not getting a good night's sleep in order to drive all the way out to saronida (the location's geotagged on flickr) to photograph the moonset, just shoot me.
i've been incapacitated with a migraine all day -- just starting to recover.

now that i'm up, here are two interesting bits of info:


item 1:

it spreads, it mutates, it refuses to die.

for the seventh year in a row, the mars hoax is infecting email boxes around the world. passed from one reader to another, the message states that on august 27th mars will approach earth and swell to the size of a full moon. 'NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN,' the email declares--always in caps.

news flash: it's not true.


item 2:

yesterday's apogee full moon was smaller than usual, as explained and visualized by anthony ayiomamitis:

click image to source

©2010 helen sotiriadis

1 comment:

  1. I haven’t received the Mars hoax e-mail this year (yet, anyway), but I’ve gotten it several times in the past. I always find it amusing that the people who sent it to me never seem to remember that they sent me the exact same e-mail a few years prior.