new photo blog

i started this blog in 2006, and it's shifted along with my interests through the years. it's been witness to a lot of learning for me...

still, i feel that i need a home for my photography -- so from now on, i'll be posting my pictures on the journal on my reworked website. if you like my photos, you might decide to follow me there!

my first post is here -- check it out!

as for this blog, i'm not sure what will happen. i don't think i'm willing to let it go, and certainly i'll keep it as an archive, but i need some time to figure it out.

for those of you that pop in from time to time, thanks for the visits and encouragement.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

STTNG: the outcast

it's not the gadgets or the effects or even the science itself.

science fiction, at its finest, shuffles parameters and extremes, in order to allow us examine aspects of ourselves. it doesn't have to be an elaborate production or thick tome -- short stories can do just as nicely.

to those that say that star trek is not good science fiction, i say bull.

©2010 toomanytribbles


  1. I grew up with episodes like this, so it often takes a different perspective for me to realize that this wasn't an everyday idea. Last year I read Michelle Erica Green's review, which begins rather poignantly, "It saddens me to say that “The Outcast” doesn’t seem nearly as dated as it should."

  2. indeed... it's still an issue.

    however, i do get the feeling that attitudes are moving, globally, in the right direction.