new photo blog

i started this blog in 2006, and it's shifted along with my interests through the years. it's been witness to a lot of learning for me...

still, i feel that i need a home for my photography -- so from now on, i'll be posting my pictures on the journal on my reworked website. if you like my photos, you might decide to follow me there!

my first post is here -- check it out!

as for this blog, i'm not sure what will happen. i don't think i'm willing to let it go, and certainly i'll keep it as an archive, but i need some time to figure it out.

for those of you that pop in from time to time, thanks for the visits and encouragement.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

old neighborhoods

it's weird thing to live one's life in long-term chunks in various parts of the world, especially in childhood, especially when the cost of a plane ride is too much to allow for visits. each time i was somewhere, past haunts were filed to memory, transformed into myth -- another dimension. i am often never sure if they were, maybe, a dream.

wilmington, de
i left my house, a tiny place in a lower-middle class neighborhood in wilmington, DE in 1980 and revisited only twice, for a few brief moments only each time. here, it looks exactly as i left it, except maybe the A/C is gone, as well as my mother's lush little greenhouse in the backyard. it looks like it's up for sale.

i lived a lot of grief in this place.

montreal, canada
i haven't seen an image of this elementary school since 1971 -- i just looked it up. my memories from this neighborhood are fleeting -- bits of imagery and tiny, defining moments. it was at this corner when i first realized what an impatient person i am. and it was in this kindergarten when i had my first conscious moment as an atheist, as i insisted that there was no santa claus.

i've been spending some time 'walking' around both neighborhoods. they look much smaller than i remember them, but then, i was just a kid.

how funny is it that these places don't change after several decades.

street view in google maps is wonderfully bizarre -- it's such a shame it's not allowed in greece.

©2010 toomanytribbles

No comments:

Post a Comment