new photo blog

i started this blog in 2006, and it's shifted along with my interests through the years. it's been witness to a lot of learning for me...

still, i feel that i need a home for my photography -- so from now on, i'll be posting my pictures on the journal on my reworked website. if you like my photos, you might decide to follow me there!

my first post is here -- check it out!

as for this blog, i'm not sure what will happen. i don't think i'm willing to let it go, and certainly i'll keep it as an archive, but i need some time to figure it out.

for those of you that pop in from time to time, thanks for the visits and encouragement.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

great lives: carl sagan

on the BBC

'physicist brian cox tells matthew parris how carl sagan's cosmos tv show changed his life.

as a young boy of 13, brian cox stared at his television screen every wednesday evening, as carl sagan took him on a journey across the cosmos. the programme was a ground-breaking piece of television by a brilliant young scientist who could be inspiring and infuriating in equal measure.

sagan was a complex character. driven to succeed, he came from a relatively poor background to become a millionaire, and one of the most influential scientists of his era. his popularity left him open to both criticism and jealousy amongst his colleagues, and whilst he was passionate about the need to educate the populace, he could also be arrogant and dismissive of his fellow scientists.

so just how good a scientist was he, and what is his legacy?'

No comments:

Post a Comment