new photo blog

i started this blog in 2006, and it's shifted along with my interests through the years. it's been witness to a lot of learning for me...

still, i feel that i need a home for my photography -- so from now on, i'll be posting my pictures on the journal on my reworked website. if you like my photos, you might decide to follow me there!

my first post is here -- check it out!

as for this blog, i'm not sure what will happen. i don't think i'm willing to let it go, and certainly i'll keep it as an archive, but i need some time to figure it out.

for those of you that pop in from time to time, thanks for the visits and encouragement.

Thursday, October 01, 2009

stack it up: an experiment in focus stacking

stack it up:  an experiment in focus stacking
like it? click it!
combineZM is open-source software that aids in stacking images. i've used it to extend the depth of field while using a fully-open aperture.

for this image, i took 14 RAW files with my canon 100mm macro lens mounted on the 40D on a tripod, using live view. i shifted the point of focus for each image, starting from the front tip of the nearest petal to the yellow stamen. i converted the RAWs to TIFF and then loaded combineZM using the file > new command. the software did a bit of analyzing... and when it finished, i went to macro > do stack. the software combined the images into one -- i then simply saved my final image to TIFF format.

i can't say i'm overly happy with the result as, when viewing very close, i can see the zebra-like zones of focus and bokeh between the shots -- i might try again using a slightly narrower aperture to reduce this effect, with fewer images, of course.

i must say that i prefer the results of the first such experiment i did in january, 2009:

all that glitters is not love:  20/365

btw, can anyone help me with the name of this flower? the guy at the farmer's market called it sepolia but i can't find any search results by that name.


  1. If my memories are correct, Sepolia is a deformation of SaintPaulia (I guess something to do with the evangelist) and what you are looking for is this, the other commonly used greek name being αφρικανικη βιολετα (african violet).

  2. yes... i got similar information on the image page on flickr. thank you so much!