new photo blog

i started this blog in 2006, and it's shifted along with my interests through the years. it's been witness to a lot of learning for me...

still, i feel that i need a home for my photography -- so from now on, i'll be posting my pictures on the journal on my reworked website. if you like my photos, you might decide to follow me there!

my first post is here -- check it out!

as for this blog, i'm not sure what will happen. i don't think i'm willing to let it go, and certainly i'll keep it as an archive, but i need some time to figure it out.

for those of you that pop in from time to time, thanks for the visits and encouragement.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

a massive ring around saturn

click pic to source
'NASA's spitzer space telescope has discovered an enormous ring around saturn -- by far the largest of the giant planet's many rings.

the new belt lies at the far reaches of the saturnian system, with an orbit tilted 27 degrees from the main ring plane. the bulk of its material starts about six million kilometers (3.7 million miles) away from the planet and extends outward roughly another 12 million kilometers (7.4 million miles). one of saturn's farthest moons, phoebe, circles within the newfound ring, and is likely the source of its material.

read on...


  1. Chris Brown7/10/09 21:47

    I think this is crazy people should really find something to do with there time...

  2. Thanks for the heads-up, which inspired this :-