new photo blog

i started this blog in 2006, and it's shifted along with my interests through the years. it's been witness to a lot of learning for me...

still, i feel that i need a home for my photography -- so from now on, i'll be posting my pictures on the journal on my reworked website. if you like my photos, you might decide to follow me there!

my first post is here -- check it out!

as for this blog, i'm not sure what will happen. i don't think i'm willing to let it go, and certainly i'll keep it as an archive, but i need some time to figure it out.

for those of you that pop in from time to time, thanks for the visits and encouragement.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

calatrava pedestrian bridge

i have a hard time taking pictures of architecture in athens. there are too many things in the way -- cars, signs, ads, all in chaotic disarray. it's frustrating and just plain ugly.

calatrava pedestrian bridge
like any image? then please click on it!
i found myself the pedestrian bridge by santiago calatrava at the intersection of mesogeion and katehaki and thought i'd take a few shots -- but these awful elements were annoying. in the end, i decided that i'd focus a bit on the details. maybe i'll go back and try to take something more general, but, for now, you'll have to rely on flickr and google.







a more general view from the bridge itself:

one of the things that made an impression on me is how many people who cross the bridge actually stop and look around, for quite a long time. my private feeling is that the urban chaos is exhausting and people need a place to look out into the distance and collect their thoughts, unfettered by the details of daily existence.

here's one of the people i saw relaxing, looking out to the buildings beyond:


i've added this image to the map on the original flickr page.


  1. I love Calatrava's work! I liked it before I saw a retrospective, in some museum in Manhattan, and I liked it even more afterwards.

    People might stop and look around because the bridge invites, perhaps even encourages, such behavior. Instead of the grandeur, or busy-ness of "traditional" bridges, this one seems to step out of the way. Perhaps it frames the view, somehow?

    Nice pictures, and thanks for sharing! :-)

    Carolyn Ann

  2. i don't know if you saw this series of pictures of calatrava's work, then:

  3. Very nice! I enjoyed both the photos and reflection.